Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I am a discharged bankrupt. Bankruptcy started from 3rd Feb

I am a discharged bankrupt. Bankruptcy started from 3rd Feb 2014. I have now been assigned the cause of action back to me from my OT, in order to take the directors of a company that owes me money. I have now issued the claim in court and served it on the defendants for damages of misrepresentation to get me to sign a settlement deed that offered me no money. They verbally promised to repay me in early 2014. I have evidence that a verbal deal was made, but the settlement itself includes no payment clauses. My guess is that they will come back with a counter claim for the their legal bill that they ran up in court of £72K for 1 hearing back in 2013.
My question is if I lose this case and excepted to pay the defendants legal bill can I just make myself bankrupt.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thank you for your question and welcome. They cannot counter claim for their legal costs as a relevant factor in the proceedings any way. If they are owed legal costs this will only be because of a costs already made. If you do have a costs order against you and you cannot payment, then yes in theory you could declare bankruptcy again. Can I assist you any further? Kind regards AJ