12826847

I am divorced and am struggling to maintain my spousal and

Customer Question

I am divorced and am struggling to maintain my spousal and child maintenance monthly payments which were set at a high level when i was comparatively well off. My work has fallen away dramatically and I have nearly used all my accessible assets in subsidising the payments. Including drawdowns on my pension, all savings etc.
I am meeting my ex wife to discuss the matter on Friday and wanted as much information as possible to help us reach a compromise.
I pay £750 pcm to my wife and £650 pcm to my 11 year old son.
I have learnt £1500 in the last 10 months which gives some idea of the imbalance.
What process do we have to undertake to change things, with the least legal expense?
Many thanks. C **********
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further information firstDo you make payment under a Court OrderDo you have any other income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pay under a court order. I have been separated 6 years and divorced for 3. I have always maintained payments. I have no other income other than my acting work which has all but dried up recently after having a great deal of previous success.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am remarried and my new life [including all bills and mortgage] costs me only £500 pcm.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
What was your income at the time the Order was made?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It varies year on year being in such a haphazard profession. 20 years ago I could earn up to £250,000 a year for a short span, but average is somewhere between 50,000 -60,000 up to 5 years ago 1 x £90,000 year around the divorce settlement time, and then dwindling amounts since. In the 40's, and now as I mentioned, £1500 in the last 10 months.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
When was the Order actually made?What was the capital settlement and what income does your ex have of her own?