12826847

My son wrongly claimed to an inspector that he was a child

Customer Question

My son wrongly claimed to an inspector that he was a child fare. He is in fact 16. When asked for his name and address he panicked and gave him our old address. Is there any way we can sort this out and put the record straight? This happened yesterday. Thanks
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is this the first time he has been stopped?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Is this TFL?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No SWT
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
How old is he ?Does he normally pay for train travel?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
16. Yes he does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you keep posting before I have responded which pushes the question to the back of my list. Does he have a record of his pay,ends? Oyster card for instance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has always had a travel card but this had not been renewed on this occasion because school had ended for the exam period. What I am trying to discover is whether there is a number I can contact to give his true address in case he is sent a penalty fare or intention to prosecute notice. If such notice goes astray he will be in worse trouble!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
They will have invited representations. There are other options than to prosecute. One is to deal with it by an internal fixed penalty fine that they have no authority to issue but that is better than a summons which they could do.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Normally though you have to write to them apologising and and pointing to his hitherto good record.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
If that fails then you can always seek an out of court settlement.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
But that is about £200-£400
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. One last point, how do I contact them with information they can cross check given that my son stupidly gave the wrong address? Do they have a phone number or address or would that compromise his position unduly?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Didn't they give him a ticket immediately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they said they would be writing
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That does create a difficulty.You can always track their address down from online searches but then you have to admit to him having given incorrect information.It is obviously something that could be held against him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know the address or at least who I have to contact?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Not of this particular issuer but there is a number online http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/contact-us.aspx They wont' be the prosecutors but they will probably be able to direct you. Delighted to continue with this but please rate my answer.