Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

A neighbours trees are overhanging my drive. I asked

A neighbours trees are overhanging my drive. I asked for them to be cut back to the boundary late last year but nothing happened. I intend asking again but wish to check how I stand. They are too high for me to attempt. "Are they responsible for keeping them cut back to the boundary?
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear *****, Yes, your neighbours are responsible for keeping the trees which grow in their land cut back to the midpoint line of the boundary between your property and theirs. However, the law, when granting a remedy to you, does not force your neighbour to cut them back. Instead the law gives you a self-help remedy if you wish to cut them back. You have to cut them back yourself, or leave it as it is. The law will not grant you an injunction to force your neighbour to cut them back. Instead the onus is placed on you, to hire a cherry-picker or some such help, to cut them back, should you wish that they no longer overhand your drive.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Accordingly, should you wish that these trees no longer overhang, you will need to make arrangements to have them cut.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
3. However, you are able to cut them back to the midpoint of the boundary without any objection.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
4. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your expert will receive no payment for answering your question.