Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I have an EEA family permit, can I apply insurance

Customer Question

If I have an EEA family permit, can I apply for an insurance number? Because whatever job I applied for, they asked me to show that I have the right to work in the uk..so I don't know what should I show them or answer them..
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
1. Dear Shady, whilst in strict point of law, you don' t need a residence card to show you have the right to live in the UK when on an EEA Family Permit, it is invaluable to have when it comes to proving you have the right to live and work in the UK, particularly as your EEA Family Permit is only expressed to last for the first six months of your stay in the UK. And yes, you can apply for a National Insurance number when you have an EEA Family Permit. However, this is one example of where having a residence card is invaluable as you can show it to prove you have the right to live and work in the UK. However, all holders of an EEA Family Permit can have an NI number.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.
2. Please Rate the answer as unless you Rate the answer your Expert will receive no payment for answering your question.