29905560

There, I experienced bullying in the workplace from a member

Hi there, I experienced bullying in the workplace from a member of the management committee about 8 years ago, she never admitted wrongdoing despite email evidence, she left the management committee when I refused to back down. A few years later I left the company for unrelated reasons. Now self employed I need to take my clients into the building she is on the management committee of. It is a specialist support project, no other exsists in the city. She has refused access to me with no explanation, other than I am not allowed in the building. Basically it is an extension of her previous bullying. What action should I take to find a positive resolution to this? Many thanks, Adele
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Ben
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does my situation make sense to you? It does span over many years!
Hello Adele. Have your raised this issue with the any of the other committee members?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I have not. The 'bully' is very controlling and insists on taking charge of the committee. I suspect it will be extremely hard to bypass her.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. The issue here is who has the right to dictate who comes into the building. As this would be private property, those in charge will have the right to choose who comes in on their premises. So you are really looking to see who is in charge of running the building and in effect who the owners are. The owners will have final say but they will have delegated their powers to those in charge of running it. They may mot wish to get involved in this so in that case those in charge pf running it, such as the management committee, will have the power to decide that. I can completely see how this is a continuation of the bullying you experienced but it will not actually be unlawful. There is no direct relationship between you, it is not like this is an employment situation where you will have employment rights, and this is basically someone applying their legal right to choose who comes onto their property. As it is not related to discrimination, they will have the right to choose who they let in on their premises, even if it is a personal reason linked to past bullying. So the only way to challenge this is to see if you can get the owners of the building on your side or to raise it with those other people on the committee who may have the right to make such decisions. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does it matter at all that it is a charity, the building is for women and that I am a women's support worker? Refusing access to me is in turn refusing access to the women I am supporting.
It would not matter that this is a charity. Also it would unlikely be discrimination because it is not like there is a blanket prohibition on women entering the building and therefore make it sex discrimination. This is an isolated issue against you, rather than a wider gender issue. Hope this clarifies?
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you Ben. Yes, that all makes sense. You have clarified that there is no legal case. A positive outcome to this matter relies on the other committee members view of the situation. Thank you for your assistance, Adele
You are most welcome, all the best