Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am hoping to reduce my payments to my ex wife for

Hello. I am hoping to reduce my payments to my ex wife for maintenance of three children. I pay £1500 per month on an after tax monthly NHS salary of approx £2900. I also pay £1500 per month in private school fees. The total is therefore £3000 per month This is a real struggle.
I engage in some independent non NHS work and this covers the gap in funding. I remain happy to pay the 25% of my nhs salary for maintenance. Would I be best having the non-nhs work paid into a company or some other vehicle that I take no money from so that I can reduce my payments?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Are in England or Wales?-How old are the children?-Are any court orders in place?-What is your gross taxable income?-How many nights per week do the children stay with you on average?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Scotland. The children are in England. They are 10, 13 and 16. There is a Court order from 2007 for the £1500 maintenance. Gross taxable income from nhs is around £65K. I make around £120K from independent work. I have the children for half the holidays and occasional weekends.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Even if you were to have the independent payments paid into a company or other vehicle, the court can overlook this and focus on what you are legally entitled to when deciding on what income and finances should be considered.I appreciate that this may not be the answer you would have hoped for, but if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you