31090051

I wanted to buy a property in auction. I went to the estate

Customer Question

I wanted to buy a property in auction. I went to the estate agents and they said you can out an offer in before so I did. The offer of 115,000 was rejected. The estate then said you can place a higher one, me not knowing this was a proxy bit I was placing so I put offer of 120,000. When I went to the auction I met the lady I had been dealing with. She told me where to go.
Now the lot came up and I started bidding but the auction staff were also. After I win the bid I found they were bidding on my behalf. So I was bidding against myself. I complained to them but they refused and said you have to buy it, so I did, paying a £3700 fee.
The terms were 28 days exchange and further 28 days complete. It's now 56 days and my solicitor has received no correspondence so we are no where near exchanged.
1) Can I back out and get my money back?
2) Is the auction agent at fault for me bidding against myself?
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
1. If the settlement date has passed then the contract has to fall seller hasn't settled in accordance with the contract. 2. More importantly the advice you were given is entirely wrong. You were bidding against yourself. That just is wrong and indeed bordering on fraudulent. You should be intimating a claim and demanding your deposit back. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have experience in property law? I paid by credit card so I'm thinking of doing a chargeback
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Just 30 years experience!