How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Harris Your Own Question
Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2739
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I've recently split up from my partner and have had

Resolved Question:

Hello. I've recently split up from my partner and have had to move out of the family home and move back in with my parents. We have a mortgage and I want my name off it. We brought the house last November. We aren't married. His mother put the deposit down on the house with a consent order. Since moving out of the house they have moved his sister and her girlfriend in to help pay the bills. Where do I stand?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your further question. Is your name also on the title of the property? Do you know the value of the property and the outstanding mortgage amount?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes my name is ***** ***** title of the property, we brought the house for £177,500. Our mortgage is 97,500 over 30 years and we've had the mortgage for 7 months
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Firstly you would need to enquire whether the mortgage company will agree to take you off the mortgage - they will need to carry out affordability checks. If they cannot, then you will need to think about entering into a deed of trust whereby it states he owns 100% of the property and is fully liable for the mortgage. You will also need to consider whether you should be compensated for any equity - so if the house price has increased then you have a right to claim a share of this upon signing deed of trust or transferring your share to him.If you have any further questions regarding this please let me know. In the meantime if you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris and other Law Specialists are ready to help you