29905560

I have a red meat intolerance which has lead to my life choice of being a vegetarian f

Customer Question

Hi, I have a red meat intolerance which has lead to my life choice of being a vegetarian for the past 15 years, i ordered quorn sausages at my local pub, like i do every lunch time. When the food arrived, took a bite of the sausage and realised it was meat. When I spoke to the chef to confirm my thoughts, he shrugged his shoulders and quoted - my mistake! His English was very poor, that's all I got from him... I don't have a witness to confirm what happened, but the waitress did give me a hand written voucher for two free drinks that was written on the back of the initial food order.
I sent in a complaint, the manager offered me two free meals as a gesture of good will. I responded with no thank you as the chef has left me with no confidence in providing a satisfactory service when it comes to health and safety,... The manager has asked me what I would like as a form of compensation and I am unsure what route to go down and what my entitlement is as a very distressed customer...
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I presume no injuries or complications were suffered as a result of this? please not due to the late hour I am going offline shortly but will pick this up in the morning, thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok! Thank you for letting me know! I'll look forward to hearing from you then.....
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry! Also no Injurys with this complaint.... Thank you
Good morning. Whilst I completely understand the disappointment and distress you would have experienced as a result of what happened, legally there is no case for any compensation I’m afraid. Serving meat to a vegetarian is not unlawful. It is immoral, but not unlawful. So you would only have grounds for compensation if you had suffered personal injury as a result of this. Say you were allergic to certain types of meat and being served meat meant you suffered severe gastric complications, or had an allergic shock, etc – then you have potential grounds as a personal injury would have been suffered. However, in the circumstances there were no injuries and as such no grounds for compensation. Therefore, whatever you are likely to get is going to be completely discretional. The restaurant would have no legal obligation to compensate you with anything and you will also have no grounds to take them to court for compensation. As such whatever offer they have made will be down to good customer care and to try and keep you satisfied as a customer, rather than because they are legally oblige to compensate you. So there is no scale of compensation you can compare this to in order to work out what you may ask them for – you can ask for anything you want and in turn they can offer anything they want. You will eventually have to come to a compromise – a sum you are prepared to accept and which they are prepared to offer. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.