Jenny
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
32019188

I have a problem with orange télécommunications who after I

Customer Question

I have a problem with orange télécommunications who after I paid my bill disconnected my line and sold the debt to BE Legal who are now pursuing me for a debt that has already been settled. They took me to court and I have been in communication with them many times and despite the evidence of the payments made since 2012 they are refusing to accept. They are demanding more money than what was paid and now have passed the matter to the bailiffs. What do I do? I need a lawyer to defend me
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Have they not responded to the letter providing proof of payment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First they escalated the matter to the county court and get a judgement against me and after showing them the proof and they said that dont agree becos i was late in contacting them
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you attend the county court hearing and provide the evidence to the court? When was judgement obtained? How much do they say you owe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't accept it because when they send me a letter i didnt answer them. How could i have answered becos i had a surgery on my knee and was very ill
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok but what about the court hearing. Did you attend or inform the court you would be unable to?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i couldn't attend that because it was all the way to Northampton and I couldn't afford it as i wasn't working. I owed Orange £527.25 but when the court sent me the paper they reported that I owe £812.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you inform the court you could not attend and how long ago was the hearing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The judgment was obtained in January 2014. Even before the court judgement BW Legal sent my details to credit agencies saying that i have refused to pay so my credit score has been bad
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Why have you left it till now to seek advice on this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been looking fir someone to help but everybody wanted money. As i have been in and iut of hospital with poor health al i could do is to communicate with them trying to sort this matter out. I even wrote to the court
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive a response to the letter to the court?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did they said as i was telling them that the judgement is wrong becos it debt was settled but they told me that I needed to complete form N244 i think and to pay £155 for court fees before they could do something about it. Where was i supposed to get this money and pay for something i have already paid?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, The difficulty is that unless you pay the court fee to have the judgement set aside this will not go away. At the moment you have a judgement against you and they can take steps to enforce that judgement including involving baliffs. The baliffs will not be interested that you do not owe the money because the judgement is in place. If you pay the court fee and can show that the claim was made in error then you can reclaim the court fee from EE. If you have limited funds then I would suggest you get in touch with a debt charity such as Step Change http://www.stepchange.org/ to see if they can support you in dealing with this issue and write letters on your behalf. This is not something you can ignore as it will not go away. With regards ***** ***** credit reference agencies if they have incorrectly notified credit reference agencies you can apply for the record to be removed. This is the basic legal position, I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating as I am not otherwise credited for working on your question, don't worry I will be happy to continue answering any specific questions you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will speak to you later as i am going to hospital now for an appointment.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks I would be grateful if you would rate my answer, I will be happy to continue after the answer has been rated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you suggeest that i go ahead and complete the form N244 application notice and pay the court fee to process the application? But the final decision to set this aside is from the court
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
unless you can get the judgement set aside and prove it to the baliffs you will continue having problems.
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Helene, is there anything further you would like to know?
Expert:  Jenny replied 1 year ago.
Hello Helene, if there are no further questions i would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best with your situation. I do hope you can sort it out.
Jenny, Solicitor
Experience: Qualified Solicitor specialising in Employment Law and general legal matters. Please start your question For Jenny Only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jenny,
I completed the N244 form and posted all the information yesterday and paid the fees. What is now going to happen because apparently I have to go to a hearing at a certain stage but do you have any idea of how it work? Do I need a lawyer to represent me during the hearing?