ukfamilysolicitor
ukfamilysolicitor, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor Currently specialising in Family. Also experienced in Corporate, Employment, Civil Litigation, Debt Recovery
74916426

I have been married abroad36 years ago,have a marriage

Hi ,I have been married abroad36 years ago,have a marriage certificate from back home in Arabic language .lived in uk for 35 years but didn't have a civil marriage .does this affect my inheritance rights according to the UK law .Do I need to have a civil marriage or what is the solution .thanks
Expert:  ukfamilysolicitor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask: - what country were you married in?- was is just a religious marriage or a legal marriage?- is separation contemplated?- do either of you have a will? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were married in Egypt ,it is a legal marriage and we have a certificate but in Arabic issued from Egypt .but we are British citizens.
We don't have any divorce arrangements or intentions .
Neither of us have a will yet
hello are you both Egyptian? Kind Regards Caroline
Hello I would be bale to call you this afternoon and speak with you - but just to make sure that the area you need help with is in my expertise - please can you confirm - were you both Egyptian citizens when you married? kindest Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi we are both Egyptian when we got married and both of us are British citizen ,now . Sorry I did cancel the phone chat as I have an appointment this after noon .and u were busy in the morning so will keep our communication as it is now thanks .
I was informed his morning they will not charge a call as you were busy ,thanks
Hello I am more than happy to chat. As you were both Egyptian citizens when you legally married - then your marriage would be recognised legally here. If either of you were to pass away without a will then the rules of Intestacy would apply to your estate. This is as follows: If there are surviving children, grandchildren or great grandchildren of the person who died and the estate is valued at more than £250,000, the spouse (husband or wife) will inherit:all the personal property and belongings of the person who has died, andthe first £250,000 of the estate, andhalf of the remaining estate.If you want the estate to be distributed differently to the rules stated above then I would recommend that you both consider making wills. Let me know if I can help you further Kind Regards ***** ***** kindly remember to star rate our service so that we receive credit for helping you day
Hello The request for a call has popped up again. Do you require me to call you? Kind Regards Caroline