12826847

I had a fight with my girlfriend a while back - we were both

hi,
I had a fight with my girlfriend a while back - we were both intoxicated and it got so out of hand, that I lost control and punched her in the face once when she stormed at me after which police was called.
I have given my statement of what happened while in police detention and am currently on bail. I will have to go back to the station in a couple of days.
My girlfriend went to the hospital to got an xray and it her face was bruised but nothing broken etc.
She also decided not to press charges.
I have had no prior offences or contact with the police.
Can you please advise of the possible and likely outcome?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Has she made a statement?Has she done this before?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
I'm just travelling home but I will pick up in two hours if that is ok?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she gave a statement. Done what before?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Called the police to a domestic squabble?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Do the police have evidence of her injury? I'm just off but I'll pick up at the other end of that is ok?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not in late r- can I come back here to check your answer? The police have a photo and took her to the hospital.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
fine. Just pick up whenever you can.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
It is probably all going to turn into a common assault. Unfortunately she will have made a statement and they have evidence of her injuries. They will also refer her to Women’s Aid who will encourage her to believe that she is the victim of long term systematic abuse and that you are a monster that eats babies. I wouldn’t plead guilty. The pressure is really on her to turn up and give evidence. She may well not be happy about that. The pressure will be brought to bear on her from the police and from these domestic violence support workers who should all get proper jobs in my opinion. If she doesn’t give evidence they will probably summons her. Whether she answers the summons is another matter. If she doesn't it is game over. If she does give evidence or is about to then you will probably have to plead guilty. On a first offence though there is not going to be a much consequence. It certainly wouldn’t lead to custody. Don’t take the pressure off her by pleading early though. Even if she ultimately wins she will not be enjoying this experience. You let her sort this out. Can I clarify anything for you? Jo
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this all sounds very extreme - as things stand, I believe she will not provide evidence upon summoned - she has told the police multiple times she wants to retract her statement. I am worried about what will happen upon returning to the police station. I think I have already plead guilty - I admitted to punching her after she almost banged in my door and i opened it, so i wouldnt break - then she stormed towards me and I punched her once.Can I take any actions against the police?Can you clarify the following scenarios in terms of consequences for me::she gives evidence
she does not give evidenceThank you.Best,
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
If you have admitted to punching her then it is game over. This should have been a no comment interview. There is an outside chance of a caution but not likely and even that is not good I'm afraid.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
It apprentice matter whether she gives evidence or not. You've
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
Admitted the offence.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what could the outcome look like? What's usually the sentence in such cases?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
On a first offence though there is not going to be a much consequence. It certainly wouldn’t lead to custody.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, do you think it is likely that I will have to go to court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 10 months ago.
it is inevitable. You have admitted the offence.There is an outside chance of a caution but not likely.I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why is the caution not likely, given that it is the first offence and I was remorseful?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, what would a likely outcome in court be?