13262538

Im trying to retrieve funds form my late mothers post office

im trying to retrieve funds form my late mothers post office savings account. It was in the name of both my step-father and mother. My step father passed away 6ys ago and my mother didn't tell me about this account she passed away in January. There is a problem with the post office recognising my mothers identity. The name she was born with was Margaret but everyone including myself knew her as rita. Her death cert says rita but post office refuse to accept this. Can a lawyer help?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questionMy name is ***** ***** do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion firstDid you not inform the Registrar that h er birth name was Margaret?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No at the time I didn't think to say Margaret to be honest my mistake I know
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any evidence that she used both names?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an old p60 form with both names nothing else
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
Have you sent that to the Post Office?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want a solicitors letter I presume stating that the names refer to the same person?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't as yet but what would a solicitor be able to do to convince them?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.
A Solicitor can just write a letter confirming that they have evidence that the documents refer to the same person.They can also be blamed if it turns out not to be true!An alternative is to attend the Registrar and amend the death certificatePlease ask if you need further details