Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Will a mortgage company like Santander check past 6 years

Will a mortgage company like Santander check past 6 years credit history for a bankruptcy search using London gazette or similar
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. They have their own systems to check a borrower's history when they apply for a mortgage. The best way to check of borrowing capacity is for a mortgage broker to assist you and test the waters.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that mean you are unsure if they check past your 6 year credit history?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband and I have had an offer in principle but not declared a previous bankruptcy of 12 years ago. Just wondering how deep they delve into past the usual experience credit score etc
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
They do not publish how far back they look at credit history, but it is usual for them to ask if either applicant has ever been bankrupt - therefore failure to answer this question honestly and then it later coming to light may impact any future borrowing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guess I need to ask my mortgage brokers advice then. It seems so irrelevant now as it was a long time ago and we have done all the right things since to move on! I know if we declare that my husband went bankrupt we will not get the high street mortgage that we desperately want. Equally I don't want to waste everyone's time by proceeding with full mortgage application if 3 weeks down the line they reject the offer as they have checked the gazette or similar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it would be very unwise to not disclose the bankruptcy?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
as these things do have a way of coming to light - a mortgage broker will be the best option in these circumstances.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you