Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Will a mortgage company like Santander check past 6 years

Will a mortgage company like Santander check past 6 years credit history for a bankruptcy search using London gazette or similar
Hi, thank you for your question. They have their own systems to check a borrower's history when they apply for a mortgage. The best way to check of borrowing capacity is for a mortgage broker to assist you and test the waters.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that mean you are unsure if they check past your 6 year credit history?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband and I have had an offer in principle but not declared a previous bankruptcy of 12 years ago. Just wondering how deep they delve into past the usual experience credit score etc
They do not publish how far back they look at credit history, but it is usual for them to ask if either applicant has ever been bankrupt - therefore failure to answer this question honestly and then it later coming to light may impact any future borrowing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i guess I need to ask my mortgage brokers advice then. It seems so irrelevant now as it was a long time ago and we have done all the right things since to move on! I know if we declare that my husband went bankrupt we will not get the high street mortgage that we desperately want. Equally I don't want to waste everyone's time by proceeding with full mortgage application if 3 weeks down the line they reject the offer as they have checked the gazette or similar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it would be very unwise to not disclose the bankruptcy?
as these things do have a way of coming to light - a mortgage broker will be the best option in these circumstances.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you