Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

My husband is away and has received a cheque he has asked me

My husband is away and has received a cheque he has asked me to open a bank account in his name and deposit the cheque for him, his post has now been redirected to him so the paperwork will go to him, is it legal for me to do this?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. It is legal to deposit a cheque on his behalf. If you were opening a bank account on behalf of your husband, this is also legal, but the bank would have to agree to let you open the account without him being present and without his ID documents. The bank may require you to have a power of attorney in order to do this on your behalf. Is his address abroad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He wants me to open it on line is this legal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I open the account online will that be legal ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you. No this is not illegal as long as you have his permission and his ID, and also as long as you do not sign a declarations on his bath that the bank may require. The action of opening the account is not in itself illegal. Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I wish you the best of luck. Any feedback is gratefully received. Kind regards AJ