Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

Will I be entitled to any of my husbands state pension when

Will I be entitled to any of my husbands state pension when he dies?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wales
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In relation to state pension, you may be entitled based on his National Insurance contributions but only if you have not already built up a full basic state pension yourself. You can apply for his National Insurance record to be used instead of your own. If you are under state pension age when he dies you will lose this right if you remarry before you reach state pension age.

If he has contributed towards additional state pension, you may be able to inherit some of this too. You can read more guidance on additional state pension here: https://www.gov.uk/additional-state-pension/further-information

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry have been off line. Ishould have said that my husband is already receiving his state pension as am I. So will I be entitled to any thing when he dies?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - the rules remain the same. As you are already in receipt of state pension yourself, you would not be entitled to "inherit" his basic state pension, however, if he has additional state pension (S2P/SERPS) that he has contributed to, then you may be able to inherit this.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.