Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

In Dec 2007 we bought a property as a couple (not married,

Customer Question

In Dec 2007 we bought a property as a couple (not married, no children)
I put in £ 180,000 and she put in £50,000
We had an agreement draw up by a solicitor (prenup) both signed.
August 2010 we sold and purchased another property.
I put in £250,000 and she remained with her £50,000
We didn't change the agreement in 2010.
I have paid all monies to her (£50,000)
We have now parted and she is demanding money.
How will a court look at this ?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:-Did you subsequently marry, if so when?-Are there any children now? If so, their ages and arrangements?-Is the property in both your names, if so as joint tenants or tenants in common?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We never married.
I have 2 children from previous 24 & 29 & she 1 child from previous 29
None of them live with us or are dependent on us.
The property have joint names on the land registry document.
I don't no if it is joint tenants or tenants in common.
Darren
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Legally, as you are unmarried, you are each entitled to a share in accordance to how the title in the property is held - so if it is joint tenants, you are each entitled to 50% of the equity. If it is as tenants in common, it is in accordance to what shares are registered on the title.If there was a deed of trust in place, this can outline what exactly you are each entitled to - for example that she is only entitled to £50,000. However, as there is no new formal agreement or deed of trust in relation to the new property this cannot be assumed, and if it is taken to court, the court will assess what both your intentions were in the event of separation or sale of the property.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.