chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My dispute is with a neihbour regarding leylanni hedge

Customer Question

My dispute is with a neihbour regarding leylanni hedge hight.
have been living at this property for 37 years.
For the first 30 years we were adjacent to a builders yard.
For privacy we planted our hedge that now currently stands at approx 15 -18 feet.
The builders yard was sold for residential housing 7 years ago.
This neighbour purchased the house 3 years ago from the first buyer.
He is now complaint of the shadow cast by the hedge, although only 3 conifers abutt his boundary. The rest of the hedge borders my other neighbour who is happy as it maintains privacy between the two houses.
He wants the whole hedge cutting to 2 metres as per the law.
Where do I stand???
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The law that deals with high hedges comes in Section 8 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Act (2003). This allows councils to take action where the hedge has grown to a height where “the hedge is adversely affecting the [complainants] reasonable enjoyment of their property”. Your neighbour could also take action under the law of "nuisance".If part of the Leylandii hedge grows over the boundary (e.g. foliage or roots), owners of the neighbouring property have the right to cut it back to the boundary. Also if the hedge is causing damage or nuisance then your neighbour could ask you to cut it back further.The bot***** *****ne is that the hedge is your responsibility and whilst it's not illegal to have these plants in your garden, your neighbour could take legal action if damage or nuisance is being caused as alleged. I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate my answer and provide feedback. Kind regards,