Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

There, I'm seeking advice regarding the natural end of an

Hi there, I'm seeking advice regarding the natural end of an AST and my choices on whether I wish to stay on or not. My husband and I are seperating and I am moving out, but I want to be clear on where I stand legally with regards ***** ***** on my landlord. I'm desperately trying to find my TA which will tell me whether we are still in a fixed term until July or now on SP. If I leave at the end of the fixed term will I still be liable for any rent arrears that may accrue after I leave?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I responded by accident. This is not my area so I will opt out so that another expert can assist you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Ben, I'll await another solicitor to respond. Have a pleasant evening.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question.If you leave after the fixed term without the tenancy agreement ending - ie. you giving the proper notice, then you would be liable for any rent arrears as it is a joint tenancy and you are jointly and severally liable.An assured shorthold tenancy does not end upon the fixed-term ending, and if no new tenancy agreement is signed then you will both be on a statutory periodical tenancy, which is basically a rolling monthly tenancy.You should therefore confirm when your tenancy ends and what notice period is given in the agreement and speak to your husband and the landlord as if you give notice (which both of can give solely) then this ends the tenancy for both you and your husband.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters