12826847

My son's car was hit by another car whilst parked outside

Customer Question

My son's car was hit by another car whilst parked outside our house in early hours of the morning. The driver did not stop. The car is curentlly being assessed but it could be a write off. My husband and I are named drivers on his insurance policy - my husband applied for our son's insurance with us both as named drivers on the policy. He declared his 2 recent speeding offences but put nothing against my name as I have never told him that I had a speeding SP30 conviction in April 2013. I am now concerned that this omission may invalidate my son's insurance claim. Advice please?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you asking if this will invalidate your insurance? Or whether you can put it right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both - it's my son's policy and of course moving forward it needs to be put right. Primary question is does this omission invalidate his insurance policy and so the claim currently in process resulting from bring hit by someone else is not paid out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Son is 17 - policy was taken out around 5 months ago - cost £1800
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
they could use it an as excuse to dishonour the claim. It is a relevant non disclosure.There are no real magic wands at this stage. All you can do is damage limitation. The reality is that if this is a low level claim then they may well not dishonour it on that basis. They do not always.Generally speaking though, it is better to declare it yourself early than wait to be found. You do take a risk as they may never find it but it is the safer course of action overall.Usually they will just let you pay the difference between the cost of your policy and the amount it would have been if the truth had been known and then honour the claim.Nobody can guarantee that though obviously.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo