12826847

When buying a car two signatures are required from husband

When buying a car two signatures are required from husband and wife. If one person forges the signature of the other, is that a serious crime even after the other party knows and accepted it?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Please can you tell me whether the other party provided authorisation in writing for you to sign on their behalf. Please can you also advise whether you are experiencing any issues related to this. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No authorisation was given as we are heading for a divorce. However when the documents arrived she opened them and at the time said nothing. This was last year in June. She is now getting dirty and has threatened to inform the police
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I have been asked to look at this.I presume she agreed to the forgery and witnessed it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jo, She did not witness it, but accepted the fact that I had signed on her behalf when the signed documents were returned with the contract/T&Cs. PLease bear in mind that the finance had been agreed prior to signing and I was informed by the agent to go ahead and find a car. It was only after this that that dual signatures were required to complete the process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Jo, at the time of signing she did not know I had signed on her behalf, after finance had been agreed, but as I said she accepted the fact when the contract was sent to us and she said nothing about it for many months, and is threatening to use it against for pure vindictiveness.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
That is forgery then. There is no way around it. You only have to sign a signature with intent to persuade a person that it is genuine.However, what might deter her is that she is also guilty of an offence as she encouraged you to forge this signature and that is a secondary offence.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jo, one final query. Because I had forged her signature, and she knew shortly afterwards and said nothing, therefore accepting it for some time. What do you think are the implications in terms of fines or even for that matter jail!? The car is being paid for without any issues and easily affordable, so the finance house is obviously quite happy that the contract is being honoured.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You wouldn't get a substantial sentence for this. I would be surprised if the police are interested.She will have to prove this and handwriting experts are expensive. You can't lie obviously but you can always answer no comment.I was just making the point that if you point out that she is also guilty of an offence then her wish to do the right thing and report crime may magically disappear. Quite often happens when women might have to take some responsibility.
Experience: Over 5 years in practice