13262538

I just sent you a lengthy description of my problem. As my

I just sent you a lengthy description of my problem. As my leg is in a cast after being splintered due to a 100 foot drop into a river, it is quite painful sitting at the computer as my leg should be raised in a sling in bed . I would prefer not writing the entire story a 2nd time as you can refer to what I sent to you just 5 minutes ago. At the moment, I have no other inquiries.
Thank you for your understanding,
Best regards,
Barbara XXXXXXXXXXx
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Although the first inquiry was in reference to the same problem I sent a second question firstly, because when writing my initial inquiry I was in desperate pain while trying to sit at the computer and my explanation came out as nonsensical due to pain and distress. Secondly, my present inquiry is whether I can be referred to the Oswestry bone clinic and get a second opinion from one of their foot bone specialists as the treatment at the Aberystwyth hospital is questionable, mainly due to the fact that I am given a different diagnosis every time I see a doctor. Should my recovery be negative due to lack of correct treatment I can only claim for medical neglect which, as far as I can logically judge, wastes time, costs someone a lot of money and does not make a bit of difference to the outcome of my injury. At the moment, I get the idea I am meant to lie in bed and hope for the best. No doubt, if this was a personal matter to yourself or to one of your family you may feel that I have every right to expect to work towards the most positive outcome that is possible for someone in my situation. My present inquiry, although it deals with the same problem, concerns another issue which I have not yet explored.
I want to be assured of the fact that my condition is being treated professionally and I want to know if I can be referred by the NHS to getting treatment at the Oswestry specialist clinic for bone injuries. Other than that, I would have to pay privately, which unfortunately would be very risky as long as I don't know when or if I can drive again as my job is 100% dependent on being able to drive my van. If my foot problem heals badly due to neglect or due to a lack of professional knowledge by the Aberystwyth hospital, my only open course would be to claim for medical negligence which I would much rather avoid, it would make much more sense to be seen by a foot specialist as soon as possible to ascertain that the treatment I am presently receiving is the best that can be done for my condition. I am dealing with the rest of my life and although to you and the doctors I have seen I am just one case in a 1000, you may excuse my concern in my own future well being, such as being able to walk as well as possible and drive my car which are both essential to continuing the work I have been doing for 25 years. If your reminder that I have already made inquiries concerning this issue and this is the type of response I am lead to expect from my prime membership then you will excuse me in telling you that I find it lacking in efficiency and professionalism.
Regards, *****
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Nicola,Thank you at least for trying.I am willing to wait until after the bank holiday but expect an answer by Wednesday evening.Kind regards,
Barbara
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my bets to help you .

My understanding of the question is that you have some anxiety over your current treatment and wish to know if you can ask to be/insist on being transferred to another hospital for treatment.

Is this correct?

Have you actually asked and been refused?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Clare,
No, as I said, it was suggested when I first had the accident but clearly, the suggestion was not acted upon. Furthermore, although while at hospital, I often saw the same doctor, he was not the only doctor I saw. I did ask several times during my weekly visit to change the cast to have a 2nd scan to see if things are still moving in the right direction. I was told that in my type of break, when a bone is in several pieces rather than just a clean break, the opinion on whether to let it heal on its own or by having an operation is a 50/50 decision and as the first scan showed that the pieces were all in the right place it was decided to let it heal naturally which, at the time, made sense. However, when you see from my last email that the cast has been put on incorrectly time and time again, the prediction (without a 2nd scan) that everything is still in the right place is no more than a guess (I think) and as it has been pointed out to me repeatedly that the re-formation of the bone will be the deciding factor on how well I can walk throughout my future life, you can probably understand my worry about something going wrong and not being examined while there is still time to undertake a different course of treatment. I can predict with 99% certainty that I would not be referred to Oswestry as I get a strong feeling that at Bronglais hospital, everything is done on a shoestring. I am German, and in Germany it is mandatory that you have the right for a 2nd opinion and the logic of giving me a scan once the bone has reformed rather than doing it when something could still be done without having to re-connect the individual pieces with screws, is beyond my comprehension. This is why it is important to me to know my rights before I ask - it would place me in a much stronger position to insist on immediate action if I knew were I stand legally. So, basically, I am asking if I have the right to ask for a scan or to be seen by a foot specialist int Oswestry to get a 2nd opinion or if I have to submit to whatever the Doctor(s) at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth decide for me.
Thank you and best regards,
Barbara
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You are certainly entitled to ask for a Second Opinion if you have concerns about the care that you are being given

You shoudl ask your GP to refer you to Oswestry and there is no reason why he should not agree to do so

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Clare for your clear and precise answer. I have an appointment with my GP this week and I will ask her about referring me and tell her why I am not happy with the unprofessional treatment at the local hospital. For instance, this morning, when I woke up, my cast had slipped about 5 inches down my leg and I had to push it back up - with a little effort, I could have taken the entire cast off as if I was slipping off a boot. . I just feel I should not have to deal with this kind of sloppiness on a day to day basis. I will write to you again once I have spoken to her - hopefully the response will be positive. I'll let you know if I need further help. Thanks and best regards,
Barbara
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well

Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.