chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

My brother in law 84, is trying to downsize but a strange

My brother in law 84, is trying to downsize but a strange complication has arisen. He borrowed £400 in 1960 toward a deposit from his company which has long since been taken over, he paid back the loan years ago but has no proof. Now his solicitor says he has to prove the loan was cleared but how? He has even offered to pay the solicitor but of course there is nowhere to pay it to. Any suggestions?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can you provide further details. Is there a restriction or charge placed on the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably, let's assume there is as it wouldn't matter otherwise. Please bear in mind my brother in law is 84 and is a bit vague about this.
Hi,If there is a restriction or charge on the property, this will need to be dealt with before the sale can complete.Unfortunately, the solicitor acting on behalf of your brother in law should carry out further checks to ensure that the charge or restriction can be removed or discharhed.If the restriction is fillowing a court order, i would suggest xontacting the court and requesting whether a payment into court can be made.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, it's not a court order so it's up to the solicitor to sort it out, is that the case?
Hi,Yes it is.The solicitor eould have to give an undertakung to duscharge any charges or restrictions upon completion.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks you have confirmed my suspicions.