How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask chatham-chamber Your Own Question
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11847
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Law Question Here...
chatham-chamber is online now

The lease has ended on a house I rent out as a HMO. I don't

Resolved Question:

The lease has ended on a house I rent out as a HMO. I don't want to renew the lease as the new fire regulations coming in, in November will mean a huge investment that I cannot afford. Also the tenants have been causing problems with anti social behaviour, disturbing neighbours. The police have been called out 5 times since Christmas. They have had verbal and written warnings regarding this. How do I go about not renewing their lease and asking them to leave, so that I am covered legally?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,When you refer to a lease, do you mean an assured shorthold tenancy?What date did the term beging and how long was it for?Did you receive a deposit? If so, was it protected with a deposit protection scheme?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is. It was for a year and ran from May. I did receive a deposit which I hold in a separate account . I am in the Isle of Man and dont have the deposit protection scheme.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,You will need to serve your tenantsection 21 Notice. This should give them two months notice to vacate. The notice must expire on or before a rent day.If the tenants do not leave at the end of the notuce period, you will have to apply to court for a possession order.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
chatham-chamber and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you tried to call me? I could n't hear you. Please could you call my landline 01624 853709
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,What exactly is your question?