29905560

In trying to book a place to stay in San Francisco through

In trying to book a place to stay in San Francisco through Airbnb, I was asked for various types of identification: a photograph, copy of passport, telephone number, email address (that was understood as the booking was being made online), credit card details. I supplied all these but then was asked to submit a 10-15 second video of myself saying why I wanted to stay there. I had already answered that question on line. However, I am not IT smart and don't know how to make a video of myself and transmit it. This I explained to Airbnb.
I had, the day before, made a booking for a different place in San Francisco, also through Airbnb, without having to produce all of the above IDs, just email, phone and credit card details had been accepted and I was told that I would receive confirmation within 24 hours. I then heard back from the host that he was sorry but the dates I wanted were already taken.
I am very uncomfortable at having supplied all of the above personal information and then being asked to send video of myself (which I have no idea how to do).
I am now worried that Airbnb has all my details and I have no way of knowing that they are not keeping it.
I have my flat in London registered with Airbnb and thought I would see what happened if I tried to book it. My photograph and name immediately came up and they requested all the same identity information as above so they definitely have retained at least my name and photograph.
Is it legal for Airbnb to retain all of my above mentioned identity information?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Please could you kindly confirm whether you are based in the UK so that I can assist you. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am based in Hong Kong but was wondering about data protection for UK because we let our London flat through Airbnb.
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am a British citizen. It's my only nationality if that counts.
Many thanks for your patience. It is certainly lawful for the site to retain this information of yours if they had made this clear in the terms and conditions of joining and you had agreed to it by accepting such terms. There are thousands of websites which retain similar personal data and this is all lawful as long as you are advised that this is going to happen and provide your consent to this. All of this is done simply by including details of the data retention policy in their terms of use and requesting your consent to this by asking you to agree to their terms and conditions. Once they store your data they will have a legal duty to store that securely so that it is not open to access by any unauthorised parties. It means they should keep it safe and secure on their servers and only they will have access to it, unless you had agreed for them to share it with selected third parties (this would have also required your consent). Even if you agree to this and they store your data but you later decide that you no longer want them to keep your data then you can make a direct request for it to be removed and once they no long have your consent they can are obliged to remove it from their servers. So you can specifically ask them to remove it but if you do so it may mean that your account will have to be closed as it could be a condition of their terms of use to have this information stored to keep an account active.I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A thank you Ben. Much appreciated.
you are welcome, all the best