29905560

Good morning legal people,was wandering if i have any rights

Customer Question

good morning legal people,was wandering if i have any rights to questioning my employers actions.i'm wanting to know what actions were taken regarding a teacher cutting my daughters hair.it turns out that a child in my daughters class managed to cut the end of my daughters ponytail.the class all realised this and it was witnessed by several members of the class.the teacher then proceded to get another pair of scissors and make the ponytail straight by cutting it again! infront of the pupils.the problem i have is that the teacher never mentioned his actions when reporting the incident to my wife and his superior.it was only when my daughter came home from school that she told me about him cutting it.this happened on friday13th may.i went to see the principal to report my concerns which were quickly investigated which then the truth came out.i was then told that the matter had been taken out of my hands and that the matter was being dealt with at a higher level.this all happened on monday morning.a week on from this with no news as to what actions had been taken i approached the principal and asked if an aopology for cutting my daughters hair was on the way and had they dealt with the situation.i was told that the situation had been dealt with yet no apology has been given.my issues are to why the teacher did not tell my wife or the principal the truth and as to why an apology has not been offered.i hope you guys can make sense of this situation i am in.do i have a right to see the report that was compiled?do i have rights at all?please help.any advice would be very much appreciated
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi ben
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Please can you tell me whether you or your daughter have provided any formal statements to the principal in relation to this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ben is this converstion costing me 28 quid? i made the complaint and was told an hour later that the matter was no longer in my hands and it would be dealt with at a higher level with no mention of my involvement
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Just to confirm, the fee applies to the question as opposed to the number of responses you send in relation to the question. I will go ahead and review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. In the meantime, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi, in the circumstances your rights were to complaint to the school but once you do that and they take the matter on it is really in their hands and you do not have automatic rights to be informed about what action was taken or how this matter concluded. One thing is also for certain – you cannot require them to issue an apology – no one can do that, even a court. An apology will always be a voluntary act and it always depends on the guilty party – only they can decide whether to issue an apology or not. So whilst you can certainly ask for an apology, you cannot force them to issue it.

In terms of getting copies of the reports about this incident, you can try and get these under data protection legislation, because they would contain personal information about your daughter and she would have the right to see that. However, they do have the option of withholding some of this if it was given under confidentiality. Still, nothing to lose by asking them to disclose that.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the procedure you need to follow to request copies of the data, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
bang on your response ben,apologies for taking so long to get back to you,had me head stuck up me arse the last few days.i managed to get a meeting this friday morning with the principal,the teacher involved and a member of hr.they say it is all informal.all being well the tacher can explain his actions and the matter will be closed.thank you for sharing your knowledge with me especially regarding the apology.if no apology comes freely then at least i know where i stand with this person.again thank you very much for your help.at one point i was going to the ring the police.thats how far me head was up me arse.hopefully happy days tomorrow ben.it was a pleasure speaking to you.have a gud un.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there thanks for getting back to me and glad it has more or less been resolved. All the best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the teacher denied the allegation ben.i'm going to knock it on the head and call it a day.could send me round the bend if i hang on to it.once again ben thank you.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No worries, wish you all the best