chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have a friend. She hold a Moldovan and Romanian passport.

I have a friend. She hold a Moldovan and Romanian passport. She is married to a Georgian man. They got married like a year ago I think and came to England a few months ago. The husband overstayed and immigration are claiming it is a fraud marriage, so they have taken both her passport and his. However in this time he has been mentally abusive and she wants to leave him. She wants to stay in the country but thinks if she leaves him now they will think it is a fraud marriage and make her go home. She find out on August 18th. What can she do as she no longer wants to be with him?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Your friend, as a Romanian National, has the right to work and live in the UK under the EU Regulations.If your friend no longer wishes to be with her partner, they can separate and she can subsequently apply for divorce.I would strongly suggest that she contact the Home Office and inform them that her marriage has broken down irretrievably and that she is in the process of filing for divorce. This should have the result of the UKBA taking enforcement action against the partner and potentially issuing removal directions.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hold a Moldova passport as well. Does this have any consequence?
She thinks that she can be removed from the country because they believe the marriage is fraudulent.
Hi,I do not think the Moldovan passport has any significance as she is still a European Citizen.I cannot comment on what the Home Office may or may not do without seeing a copy of the documents pertaining to the case.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you wish to discuss, please feel free to ask further questions.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can they kick her out the country even though she holds a romanian passport?
I do not believe that they canI hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,