chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

There, I have recently engaged a Philippine based company in

Hi There,
I have recently engaged a Philippine based company in some market research services, that they have completely messed up. Essentially, they have lied, made up interviews etc etc...
Anyway, long short short because of the appalling service I have refused to pay them. They in turn arethreatening to pursue a legal route...
My question basically is, what can they realistically do, considering I'm in the UK and they are in the Philippines?
Many Thanks
Gavin
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Is the company only based in the phillipines or do they have a uk offixe also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Only based in the Philippines
Hi,Was there a written agreement and if so, what jurisdiction dows it come under?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was and it was under Philippine law...If it was under UK law what would that mean? Would be good to know for future referenceThanks
Hi,If the agreement was under phillipines law, the company would be able to issue a claim in the phillipines. They would then have to apply to have the judgement enforced in the UK.If it was under uk law, they would be able to issue proceedings in the uk.I cannot comment on phillipine law so if they do commence legal proceedings yku would have to istruct lawyers in the phillipines.If it was in the uk, you would have the opportunity to file a defence and counterclaim, if applicable.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that happened am I obliged to respond? What is the worse that could happen if I ignored them?
If you ignore them, judgement could be entered against you in your absence. If this happens, they would still have to apply to have the judgement enforced in the UK.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.kind regards