29905560

I arrived Ryanair flight 45 mins before take off and after

Customer Question

I arrived for a Ryanair flight 45 mins before take off and after weighing my case (it was 1kg over weight) we paid the £10 fee and then we're told the baggage check in was closed, the whole time the case was on the scales.
Ryanair have refused to compensate us for the outbound flight and the extra Easyjet flight we had to purchase stating we should have been there 40 mins before, which of course we were as we were there 45mins before.
Where do we stand with taking the complaint further?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ben, did you see my first question?
Please can you tell me how long ago this was. Please can you also tell me whether you have attempted to resolve this with Ryanair in writing?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The flight was 5 May 2016 and I wrote a complaint to them on 13 May 2016 and received reply today stating 40 mins before flight and that was it
OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How will you contact me?
On here later this eve but will probably be quite late on thanks
Many thanks for your patience. One argument that the airline will have to try and defend this is that you did not present yourself meeting the necessary criteria to travel on time. This means that at 40 mins before departure you should have been there with either a bag that met the weight criteria and was ready to be accepted, or with an overweight bag which had been fully paid up for the excess weight. So what could have happened is that you turned up with the overweight bag at 45 mins prior to departure but as you were not compliant that would not have meant you were ready to be checked in and the time it had taken to make you compliant could have taken you inside the strict 40 minute cut off point. The key would be when were you fully ready to be checked in, meaning when did you have the necessary documentation processed to show that you had an overweight bag which was paid for to be taken on board. If you turned up at -45 but the process of paying the extra fees, etc took you to -37 for example then you would be too late to check in, even if you had turned up on time. This is because you would not have been ready to check in at that time. So this is the main issue I see. On this assumption they may have a valid defence, on the assumption that you completed the full overweight baggage procedure in time to be fully ready within the 40 minute window then you could take this further if needed. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have to take this further, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Ben. I'm at work at moment but do want to continue as have few more bits to add. I'll message around 5pm
no worries just get back to me when convenient, thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi Ben, nowhere on Ryanair website does it state that you need to arrive before 40 mins if you case is too heavy? all it say it 'We recommend that you check-in baggage as early as possible, the Bag Drop desks open two hours prior to the scheduled flight departure time.The Bag Drop desks close strictly 40 minutes before the scheduled time of departure. If you miss this deadline your booking could be cancelled without refund and you could be prevented from boarding the plane'Surely if an overweight case is likely to cause them to weigh it, charge you, then refuse entry, then it should clearly state this on their site as there could have been anything wrong with it, what if the app I was using for the boarding pass wasn't working? The Ryanair operative could see my daughter paying the fee from the desk so had no reason not to let the case go on?Also, I would like to point out that on the return journey with Ryanair the case was still overweight but we were not charged or any comment made plus we were asked if we wanted to put our hold case through free of charge also! This shows that the fee can be waivered when it suits and if they had good customer service and on a different day a different person would have let us through.
Hi, it is entirely your responsibility to ensure that your luggage is within the specified weight limits. So if you turn up with n overweight case you are not adhering to their terms of travel because you have not stuck to the weight limits and whilst that is being sorted out you could miss your deadline to check in. They key is that the check in desks close strictly 40 mins before departure and if you do not meet the criteria for travel then you could miss that deadline as you will not be able to check in in time. Also the fact that the luggage was overweight on the way back makes no difference. It is their prerogative to allow an overweight bag to travel if they want to, but at the same time they are entirely within their rights to follow their policy to the letter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what options do I have? I offered to pay with cash to speed things up and she refused saying I had to pay at this other desk, which she could see from where she was, are they really allowed to treat people so unreasonably?
In short, yes they can. Let’s not forget that this is the airline, the CEO of which has previously called its customer f-ing idiots and told them to f-off if they don’t like it. All widely reported. So all of this is down to what is morally right/wrong and what counts as customer service. But these do not make their actions unlawful and subject to legal challenge. What is immoral is not unlawful and this is the issue here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
But they can't prove that I hadn't paid the fee in time just as much as I cant prove that I did, so it ends in the fat cat CEO winning by treating his customers like crap and like he says if we don't like it go somewhere else. So as I cant prove they were in the wrong and acted unlawfully I have to leave it and put it down to a bad experience?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should I be able to claim back some of the costs, like the seat reservation fee, baggage allowance etc?
you are the one who will potentially make a claim so you will be the one who has to prove exactly when these things you are claiming happened and that you were still in time to check in. It could essentially be your word against theirs unless you can get some more evidence such as CCTV or receipts or witness evidence, then you may not be able to win. The fees are all together so you need to win your case first to be able to claim anything else from them
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thank you for your advice :(
you are welcome, sorry it couldn't be better news but I obviously have to be honest in the circumstances