Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

You brief above states a residency order last until child is

You brief above states a residency order last until child is 16.
The court imposed a residence order in favour of my sons mother, when he was 12 as we disputed with whom he should live when he expressed a desire to live with me full-time, having until then had a shared care arrangement. The order specifies shared times split as equal school holidays shared and alternate weeks Friday to Wednesday with myself. My son turns 16 in 3 months and again states he wishes to live with me. Can you please advise what I may need to do when he turns 16 in respect of the court - should he want to 'move' in with me? Many thanks.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. Does the order state it should last past 16?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no statement at all about how long the order is applicable for. Regards.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - in that case the order will end when he turns 16 and it will be for your son to decide where he lives. There is nothing further you need to do as the family courts only deal with children up to the age of 16, or up to 18 if it is explicitly stated in the order.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you