29905560

I booked 6 seats with Ryanair to fly from Dublin to East

Customer Question

I booked 6 seats with Ryanair to fly from Dublin to East Midlands Airport UK for a family funeral. I booked the seats on-line and checked their website for the travel documents required. Their site stated that 'Any photo ID which matches the passenger name int he booking' was acceptable. However, when I phoned the next day to check that a Driving Licence was acceptable, I was informed that all passengers must hold a valid passport. Unfortunately, my uncle who is 89 did not hold a passport. As a result, we had to make alternative travel plans.
Passports are not required for travel between Ireland and the UK and is a specific requirement that Ryanair have. They confirm that travel between the 2 countries is treated as International but yet their on-line booking did not require passport details which would be normal for International flights.
Have I a case to pursue here?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

According to Ryanair’s terms and conditions on their site it specifically states that “A driving license is not accepted as a travel document on international flights.” Flights between the UK and Ireland are obviously international as they are two different countries and this will not be a domestic flight.

Full details of the requirements can be found here:

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/terms-and-conditions/termsandconditionsar_368204930

International travel requires a valid passport, or you could also use an Irish Passport Card.

Whilst Ireland and UK are in the Common Travel Area and you do not need a passport to enter either country if you travel from the other, that is an immigration issue. This is just part of the requirements for travel – in addition you may have specific requirements by the airline you travel with and you will need to meet these in addition to any immigration requirements.

This issue has been in the news in the past and has highlighted that Ryanair does have its own requirement for all travellers between Ireland and the UK to have valid passports and it has even gone as high as the Irish Government, which refused to issue a bill to ensure that the requirement for a valid passport is waived.

So as far as it stands I am afraid you will not have a valid argument to hold Ryanair liable as their terms of carriage were clearly stated on their website and by purchasing tickets you would have agreed to them.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.