When I had my gas meter replaced on Friday they found a gas

Customer Question

When I had my gas meter replaced on Friday they found a gas leak in the pipe between the meter and my only gas pliance the boiler. I had the pipe replaced Monday and put the buildings claim in today. They told me because I didn't damage the pipe I cannot claim.
How can this be true as it prevented a potential gas explosion which I was lucky it didn't happen and gas pipes are fundament to the building and at least the heating system.
How many policies are leaving home owners at risk.
I have never tried to make a claim before and I am 50.
How can I challenge this.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Hello Paul my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How told you that you can not claim please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My insurance company Halifax / Legal & General
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

Ok - what does it say in your policy about claiming etc?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As stated they state I am only covered for accident damage to the gas pipe between the meter and boiler. But if it wasn't detected the house could have blown up. How can buildings insurance not include internal gas pipes and how can I predict this would happen.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

What is the cost to you of this repair?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. Claim against the insurance company.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Expert:  Ash replied 5 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 starts before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: