Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am getting an extension done at my property and I need my

I am getting an extension done at my property and I need my buy to let property to live in. I have served my tenant with a section 21 notice which comes to an end on 16th July. His fixed term has ended and he is on a rolling contract. Since I need the buy to let property before 16th July , can I strike a deal with the tenant in writing by offering him a 1000 pounds to leave before 6th June? Is it illegal?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your question. The tenant is of course free to leave any time as you have provided them the statutory notice period under Section 21. Furthermore, both you and the tenant are able to end any tenancy agreement by agreement. The payment you are proposing is an "early exit payment" which is not illegal.I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you