How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70213
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I was sexualy abused when i was 14 i am now 45 it was my

Resolved Question:

I was sexualy abused when i was 14 i am now 45 it was my uncle i told my mum yesterday after all this time she told me that i shold go to the police but it happened years ago kind of mention what happened to me as we have had a battle over something else and mentioned when i was 14 he told me he is not going there i had this recorded is it to late all these years later
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
You can make an allegation to the police. Nobody can stop you doing that.It is fair to say that historical allegations do have a fairly low conviction rate but then so do sexual offences generally. Your report would certainly be considered though. There is no reason you cannot make it.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If he admitted to it what would happen he has wreaked my life could i get compensation from him
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Compensation is fairly unlikely if I'm wholly honest.It would depend on how much money he has anyway.Also you would have to get over limitation which can be done but it is a hurdle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whats that
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
The Limitation Act 1980. You had six years to sue from the date of your 18th birthday. you can apply to extend time but you do still need a good reason.Also, if you seek compensation that is an obvious point for him to take in his defence as jurors are becoming increasingly aware that these allegations are sometimes made for compensation.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you