JustAnswerKM
JustAnswerKM, Solicitor
Experience:  Court of Protection, civil litigation, divorce and inheritance
90849391

I have a piece of land jointy owned can i sell my half he

I have a piece of land jointy owned can i sell my half he wont sell i owe my mother alot of money could i gift it to her to pay my debt to her as he will not sell the land which is a piece of land
Expert:  JustAnswerKM replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Thank you for your message, I will do my best to help.If the land is owned as 'joint-tenants' you will need to sever the tenancy (change ownership) to convert to a 'tenancy in common'. Once that is complete, you can then apply to change the register with the Land Registry and have your share of the land in your mother's name as a gift. Please see links below to the official government website with steps on how to sever the tenancy and change the register. Sever the tenancyhttps://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common Change the registerhttps://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/transfer-ownership-of-your-property Please note that if you want to force a sale, you will need to apply for an Order of sale at your local County Court or High Court if the value of the land is over £50k. I hope that helps.Best of luck,Kind regardsKrystel*Please rate my answer so I can be credited for it.