chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I live in an apartment block. The Owner of the block

I live in an apartment block. The Owner of the block provides free of charge a purpose built brick storage facility for tenants bikes with security provided by means of a security coded press button lock system. There are no other areas provided or allowed for tenants bike storage.
There are no signs erected warning that use of the facility is at the tenants risk.
I have been using the facility for approximately one year without problem with the bike secured to the bicycle support structure with a "D" purposed made fitting and a extension security cable. Unfortunately I recently had the front half of my bike dismantled and stolen comprising of the handlebar assembly and the front fork assembly c/w wheel brake assembly etc.. I have reported the theft to both the Police and the block Owner. The cost for replacement and installation of the items stolen will be in the region of £300-£350.
As there are no signs warning use is at bike owners risk am I within my rights to claim the loss from the apartment block Owner.
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Was the bike insured?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Hi,It is difficult to say whether you would be able to claim without having a look at pictures of the site and even a copy of the lease.All you can do is try.I would suggest that you write to the management company/landlord claiming that due to the inadequate services providing relating to the bike storage facility, you have suffered loss in the region of x. You should demand that they reimburse you within 14 days of the date of the letter. If they fail to do so, you may have to take the matter to court. You should be able to do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.ukI hope this helps. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,