75100385

There I've recently received a letter from the thameslink

Hi there I've recently received a letter from the thameslink train company as a notice of intention to prosecute. The charges are as follows
Entering a train without a ticket entitling travel
Altering a ticket with intent
This all came about as a result of a new job I started recently. It requires me to travel to London by train. Every day I meet my boss who hands me my ticket for the day which I'm more than sure now are not 100% valid. The fact of the matter is I have continued to use the tickets he gives me each day instead of paying for kosher tickets, frankly because if I did on my wage I'd be working for roughly 6 pound a day. I'm extremely worried about the consequences of this letter I.e the hefty fine I'm sure I'm due and appearing in court. I simply can not afford this but really have no choice to continue such actions until I can find a new job which will not force me to do this. I don't know what to do. How do I approach this? Pls help me
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with thisWhat has happened regarding this ticket? Did you not have a ticket? Or was it fake?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ticket he gives me is a valid ticket I believe or was...you enter the date yourself in a square qrid at the top. But you can tell that sometimes he is giving me one that has previously been written on
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok - they are saying its not a valid ticket?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the charges are not having a valid ticket along with altering ticket with intent
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also state the letter notes their intention to take the matter before magistrates and is not a court summons
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ah ok. Well you would have to plead guilty to the not having a valid ticket, because it wasnt but not guilty to altering it. You didnt alter it. But if you suspected or reasonably suspected that it was a dodgy ticket you would be guilty.You are fortunate that you are not being charged with fraud, as it could well be thatBut your boss would need to give evidence. What you need to do is avoid this going to Court because otherwise you would get a criminal record. You need to call them and say what happened. They may then go after your boss instead.But you did travel without a valid ticket - you cant avoid that.Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yes I had an idea that this would be the case so what I really need to know is...should I phone them and ask to settle it out of court. I fear if I take responsibility for this in the enclosed response form, I will instantly be served with a large fine. But if I call them and explain that I'd like to settle the matter without involving court if possible they may go for it and may work out cheaper?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
I would call and settle. You should discuss what happened, its not your fault and should work out cheaper.Does that help?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It absolutely does and just one final thing if I may..This letter pertains to the 1st incident since working for this new boss. I have had 2 such instances since but have not yet received letters. Do I foreclose this information to them in light of fully explaining my story/predicament as I fear not mentioning them may result in worse action being taken if they notice for themselves on their system
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If they accept any penalty in full and final settlement, that's it - they cant go backDoes that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid not I'm sorry...should I tell them I've been caught with these tickets twice since the first instance? I've not had any correspondence to do with those yet
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
you should tell them - you want appear to be honest dont forget.Does that clarify? Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you :)
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course thanks again
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Thank you and best of luck