29905560

I would like to employ a nanny a total of eight hours a week

Customer Question

I would like to employ a nanny a total of eight hours a week for a couple of months (five), paying her a total of 80 Pounds per week. I understand I need a contract to be in place...which other documents do I need to fill out? Do I need to register her anywhere? Do I have any further obligations? I have heard I am exempt from paying taxes or National Insurance contributions.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Will you be requesting the nanny's national insurance details?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Thank you for your request for a phone call. I am unable to talk at the moment but if you provide the information requested, I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message after you have provided the information as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
I have called and left a message
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will you call me? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just realized my phone did not have coverage...could you please try it again? Thanks!
Sure
Good luck!If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Your responsibilities will very much depend on whether this person is self employed or your employee. This is not something which you simply decide by labelling them as either of these but it depends on how they are treated. The rights an employee will have will be very different to the rights a self employed person will have. So the first step is to establish if they are likely to be an employee or self employed by looking at these factors: http://www.kingstonsmith.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Employment+status+indicators.pdf If she is an employee she will have the right to:{C}· A written contract{C}· Payslips{C}· Be paid the National Minimum Wage{C}· Receive paid holidays{C}· Be entitled to maternity leave{C}· Get sick pay{C}· Get redundancy In addition you have further responsibilities such as:{C}· Making checks to ensure the person is legally allowed to work in the UK{C}· Have employer’s liability insurance{C}· Register as an employer{C}· Deduct tax and NI if these are due (you need to consult a tax lawyer on this matter) If they are self employed then you will not have to: ***** ***** contract, payslips, pay minimum wage, pay holidays, pay maternity leave or sick pay, get redundancy or pay their taxes. So if at all possible try to treat them in such a way that their situations ticks most of the self employed boxes on the link I provided as it will make things a lot easier for you. A good summary of your responsibilities can be found here: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a541397/legal-responsibilities-of-employing-a-nanny