Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I live along a track owned by someone else.I have a right of

Customer Question

I live along a track owned by someone else.I have a right of way and have been here 43 years.There have been repairs recently and the owner has asked me to pay half.He did not get any estimate prior to doing the work and now wants £2000 from me.I do not wish to appear unreasonable,but wondered what my legal position was?Many thanks Sue Turner
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your enquiry.

Could you possibly let me have the wording of your right of way, please, if you have your Deeds to hand?

Kind Regards

Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry the deeds are lodged with my solicitor.As I said,I have lived here 43 years and the track is the only access to my property.Thanks Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your reply.

Well, the long and the short of it is that if your right of way states that it is subject to you contributing towards any maintenance costs, you are indeed responsible for making the said contribution.

If your right merely states that you have a right of way, and there is no mention that the right is subject to you contributing towards the maintenance/upkeep of the track, then you are under no legal obligation to contribute full stop.

You do, therefore, really need to check your Deeds for the exact wording.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi Sue, Can I assist you any further? If not, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Hi Sue, please don't forget to rate my answer. Many thanks Al