12826847

I got caught by a speed camera. I was offered the chance to

Customer Question

I got caught for speeding by a speed camera. I was offered the chance to accept a fixed penalty and 3 points. I accepted this. I then got a letter saying I was unable to accept because I had 11points on my licence and so this had to go to court. The offence date was in December and I've just received a court date of 17th June. On 8th June it will be 3 years since an offence that I was given 5 points for. Does this mean that I'm safe from getting a ban or will they rule based on the fact that I had 11 points at the time of the offence? It seems a bit unfair to back date points like that.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but it is bad news.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
the relevant date is the date of the offence.It is not the date of conviction or of sentence.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
the points aren't backdate. Time just runs from the date of the offence.It is similar to most other offences - if an offence is committed within a suspended sentence then the time runs from the date of offence there too.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately they make these offers to almost everybody and then withdraw them when the need arises.I'm very sorry.Can I clarify anything for you?Jo