F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Good morning, I was trying to find if there are any legal

Customer Question

Good morning, I was trying to find if there are any legal barriers to setting up a company related to motoring offences, specifically users driving with phones, being captured on a calibrated/timestamped photo and/or video and then being sent this evidence, having to pay a fee or fine either to the company or indirectly to the police force or dvla or similar. Is this legal? The only kind of scheme i can find similar is that of parking fine notices but linking to this idea i was thinking if you said to someone, you have been spotted using your phone whilst driving, you must pay a fee, else this will be reported to the police, this sounds a bit too bribery like, can you see any ways around this? Thank you for the advice.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
How exactly would this proposed site work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This im not sure of but in general, video someone comitting this offence of say using their phone while driving, using the numberplate to request driver details like I know you can and then sending a letter to these people asking to pay a fine else it would be passed to the police or as well as passing to the police,any suggestions?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
I you started doing this, you would get reported to the police and be prosecuted for blackmail. It is demanding money with menaces.There is no problem in reporting it to the police (although there is no duty to do so) but demanding money for not reporting it to the police is blackmail.Further, these would not be grounds to request the registered keepers details from DVLA.I’m sorry to pour water on the flames of your new business venture.Can I clarify anything for you?Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.Best wishesFES