F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My ex partner will not return my belongings after we split

My ex partner will not return my belongings after we split up. What can I do?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
What is the value?Why wont the ex return them?Were you married?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV £600
Electrical tools £300She has left items with friends and disappeared with my children to live with another bloke.Common law partnership
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.You can either issue small claims court proceedings for £900 being the value of the items or, you can apply to court for an injunction court order to make her give you the items back.There is really no other way of doing it although this would not be dealt with as any matter of urgency unless you needed the tools for work.The threat of the court application coming from a solicitor may make her give you the items back sooner rather than later. If you want, then you are faced with court. The police will not be bothered because there is no element of theft here.Whatever you do you’re going to have to warn her that if she doesn’t let you have the things back, he is going to face court proceedings and an application for court costs.Can I clarify anything for you?Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.Best wishesFES
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice.