75100385

I am in SCOTLAND,UK, I bought an outboard engine that was

Customer Question

I am in SCOTLAND,UK, I bought an outboard engine that was advertised, purchased it from a company in SHEFFIELD,UK, this was about two months ago, over the past two months have been fitting out the boat,including fitting the engine, launched the boat two days ago, engine found to be not suitable for purpose, meaning it has major mechanical problems and not fit to use, I have as yet not contacted the company as I wish to know how to proceed, engine cost £1000, please advise route to take.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.How did you pay for the engine please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Paid cash on collection.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods must be fit for purpose, of suitable quality and fit for purpose. If not then they can be rejected. Generally this usually can be done within the first thirty days. You have waited two months so you may have a little difficulty in getting a refund.You would be entitled to a repair or a replacement. But if you wanted a refund you would have to write and ask for one within 14 days and reject the goods.If they refuse you can issue a small claim. The limit for this is £3000 and once you get judgment you can enforce it.For more information about small claims please seehttps://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/taking-action/small-claimsCan I clarify anything for you about this today please?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Due to differences in Scottish/English laws will this make any difference as regards 'consumer rights act 2015', do I still have time to do something about it, ie, within 14 days ???, or am i to late,if I send an email to them stating facts and hear nothing, which I kind of expect,in my email should I mention consumer rights ,ask for replacement or refund, threaten with small claim or words to that effect,
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
It makes no difference as the Act applies to Scotland and England.Yes you still have time to do something but don't just email, make sure you send a letter too.Yes, mention consumer rights, ask for a replacement or refund and say if they refuse you will issue a claim in court,Does that clarify?Alex
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that clarifies, I will proceed on your advice,thank you.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a number we can chat on?