13262538

My wife (Resp) has answered YES to Q6 on the D10. We had

My wife (Resp) has answered YES to Q6 on the D10. We had split assets in '07 without question since 50:50. In the meantime I paid for all education costs of our kids who are now 29/30++ without question. If she applies to the court to consider her financial position as it will be after the divorce what does this mean ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which ground did you use for the Petition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5 years separation - all agreed on the d10
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Was there a written Separation agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was a schedule of assets and a letter between us - nothing prepared legally - this was referred to in the petition by me and again nothing specific has been mentioned in responses. Nothing disputed ever and, again, it was all 50:50.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

What assets were there and what income did/do you each have?

Does she have a new partner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Total assets were approx GBP 5mn. She took all of hers as cash and left me with a house in London (subsequently sold and she signed docs on) and one in France (which she wont sign a sale agreement on until we are divorced) plus pensions and other investments. I was made redundant in early 2008 and started a business which later failed but sold for GB£1. My estimate of my asset base today is £3mn as my properties have done well. Her asset base will also have done well. I have had paid employment of about 3 years in the past 8 years and have had none since Nov '14; I have lived on cash savings since but am now trying to sell assets to generate cash although I can draw pension at the turn of the year as I reach age 55. She invested in student properties and has a stable income from that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new partner and live together now for 7 years. She had the same but he was kicked out but remains a "boyfriend" (they are out a lot together and frequently holiday together e.g. were in the Caribbean 2 weeks ago)
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

The divorce cannot now proceed without the Finances being addressed.

This could be dealt with by way of a Consent Order confirming the agreement that was reached and dismissing any further claims

I suggest that you arrange to attend Family Mediation with her - and if she refuses then you attend the Mediation Information and Assessment meeting so that you can issue the application for a Financial Order as soon as possible

It may be that when she realises that you are taking the matter forward then she will agree to a Consent Order.

Given the 50/50 distribution of substantial assets it is unlikely that a court will change that

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the court will grant a decree nisi but not an absolute unless a financial order is agreed and sealed/stamped by the court ? Should I mention this in my D80E return form - that I want such (seems safer to have) ? and also send her lawyer an EMail saying this is what I intend and see if she responds with a mediation suggestion ?
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Well it can be granted if your ex refuses to co-operate and has had a chance to make a court applictaion if she wished.

No need to mention it in the D80E.

Certainly email her lawyers and ask about mediation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but from the way the question 6 on form 10 is written
"in the event of a decree nisi being granted on the basis of 5 years separation, do you intend to apply to the court for it to consider your financial position as it will be after the divorce ? "
...it states that
a) she cannot do so until after the nisi ?
b) the application is all about her financial position after the divorce (and not before) ?
Mark
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

My apologies I should have been more specific the Decree Nisi can be granted - but the Decree Absolute will not be and accordingly the divorce will not happen.

She can in fact apply for the finances to be dealt with at any time - and if you agree an Order it can be made at the same time as the Decree Nisi

Whilst i says "after divorce"essentially it is about the final financial settlement - which you thought had already been agreed