F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

When registering with a dentist I have been asked details.

When registering with a dentist I have been asked for personal details. Eg address, dob, etc. Am I required to provide these details? I am paying privately and would just like to get my toothache sorted.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I get the answer?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi apologies for the slight delay. Is there any reason in particular you do not wish to provide your personal information?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it's just that sometimes I get calls from withheld numbers from people that know my address and I don't want them passed on to third parties. Also if I am paying privately I do not see why my personal details are important. I would just like to know whether there is a legal requirement for me to give these details to get dental treatment. I don't mind giving them but I would just like to know whether I have to by law?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK well let me review the relevant information and laws and get back to you as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi, it looks as I and my colleagues have answered other questions for you in the past which have not been rated so unfortunately I cannot take the risk of spending time on this and not get credited for it and as such I will leave this question, sorry

Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If you can afford to pay back as soon as you can, so much the better. It’s unlikely that you would escape the penalty but you would almost certainly escape prosecution.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That last answer doesn't make sense. The question was about registering with a dentist and giving personal details. I bet you don't know the answer.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I apologise, it was a previous reply which over posted. Here is the answer.

You are not obliged to provide a name and address but by the same token, the dentist is not obliged to provide you with treatment. The dentist can insist on whatever criteria they wish before they take you on as a patient and if that criteria is that you provide your name and address, you have two options, either provide the details and get the treatment or not.

There is another more important reason and that is that if anything crops up with regard to the treatment and they need to contact you for any reason, it is essential that they have your name and address. It is most probable that if they do not have your name and address, there is assurance would be invalid.

I appreciate that’s not the answer you wanted but that's the situation.

Please don’t forget to rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process so that experts get paid.

Best wishes.

FES

F E Smith, Advocate
Experience: I have been practising for 30 years.