Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

My husband and I are getting divorce and he organised and

My husband and I are getting divorce and he organised and pays for counselling for our 13 yr old son. Currently, my ex gets all the feedback from the counsellor. I have asked if I may be included in feedback directly from the counsellor instead of through him, but he has point blank refused to give me her details. Can he do this?
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Please confirm if you are in England or Wales?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I live in England. My husband and I share 50/50 custody of our children.
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. As you are married you will have parental responsibility for your son which entitles you to information in relation to his health. However, you should be aware that counselling is usually a confidential issue and the counsellor will likely state that any discussions between them and your son will not be disclosed to parents.

In the circumstances I would suggest that you formally write to your husband and request the counsellor's details, as well as information as to why you want the details as well as setting out that you have parental responsibility and therefore have a right to such information.

If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have already written to him and asked for the counsellor information, he has refused to give it. She shouldn't be imparting info with him anyway, and she was initially reluctant to, but did when my husband asked. This stuff is confidential. If I find out who she is, can I ask her not to? He has blackmailed me and said if I pursue this he will tell our son, basically letting him know we know what he is saying in sessions, and that his trust is being breached, which will hurt him and give him trust issues.
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

Yes, if you are able to find out her details then you can ask her too as you have parental responsibility.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What if I am unable to find her details? I have tried, but been unsuccessful. I am being accused of being a control freak for even asking! Should I take it a step further and go legal in him? He has threatened to stop counselling for my son and tell him I'm snooping if I pursue this, and this worries me for his mental health, as the counselling seems to be going well.
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

If you were to take it further with a court application, it will be possibly a stressful and costly process and could cause more animosity than the benefits you would get

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
im being bullied out of information regarding my son's mental health, and kept in the dark as to who is taking control of his welfare. Am I being charged each time I ask a question, by the way, or is this a flat £50 fee for this session?
Expert:  Harris replied 12 months ago.

It is a flat charge - If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for answering your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Harris, Law Specialist
Experience: Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters