29905560

I am technical manager company and I have been asked to sign

I am technical manager for a company and I have been asked to sign off a technical document for a scissor lift. I know these are covered by various standards legislation that I am not familiar with so I have refused to sign the technical documentation.
I have been told by one of my bosses that if anything happened in the future I will be in a worse position as I have not signed and will ultimately be responsible due to my job title.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a specific question about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben
Yes if the product failed when used as technical manager in the company could I be held liable if I didn't sign the technical documentation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I be held liable if I do
Ian
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, the simple fact that you have a title that states you are a technical manager will not in itself automatically make you liable. This would depend on your official responsibilities in work – what you are expected to do, what you are qualified for, etc. If it is not in your duties to sign off such technical documentation or you are simply not qualified to do so, then you cannot be forced to do it. At the moment it looks like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't but in reality you should only be required to sign this off if you are qualified to do it. It is worse if you sign something which you are not capable of doing and then something happens, rather than making it clear that you refuse to do so and the reasons for it. If you sign is your name is ***** ***** document and you will take some responsibility for it, if it is not then it cannot come back on you, especially if you could not sign it off in the first place and you had made your reasons clear as to why you would not sign it.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you