12826847

A trades person fitted a velux window to my bathroom,water

A trades person fitted a velux window to my bathroom,water is coming in through handle,don't think he has fitted a velux window,what can I do. Tried contacting him,he will not respond.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had our bathroom renovated into a wet room,we had the bath taken out due to my husband being partially disabled and my 100yr mother.we recently moved into this house. The house is a dorma bungalow,we asked him to change the velux window due to its age.He also put down non slip flooring in the bathroom which we are really disappointed with it,as it is quite uneven,so when you turn the shower on it gathers water in small areas.The pipe under the sink has a small leek. But the biggest issue is the rain water coming in from the window,it seems the vent is filling up with water,but my husband says it looks like a ordinary window which should only be fitted on a vertical wall. We gave him 200.00 pound to purchase a velux window.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Are you asking if you are liable to pay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The job was completed on Friday 20th May and we paid this man in full,that evening it started raining and that was when we noticed the rain water coming through the window.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So what is your question about this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to contact this tradesperson and he will not reply,what can I do ?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

To achieve what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not asking if I am liable to pay,as I have said we paid the outstanding bill in full,what I am asking is how do I get this man to either refund some of the monies or rectify the problem
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is he a sole trader or a limited company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a sole trader
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have his address? Don't give it to me but do you have it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just his mobile number.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any means of finding it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only know that he lives in the Sheffield area.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

That is going to be a problem.

To sue you will need his address. There is no other way of doing it.

Ultimately he cannot be forced to return and put this right if he is refusing. All you can do is sue for the cost of the work if he does not.

You can track him down by using a tracing agent if you have fairly limited information upon him. That is usually under £100 but you cannot reclaim that sum.

If you can get his address then you can issue at the small claims court. It will be cheap and quick to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No what you have said ,I already knew about the small claims court,I thought there might have been another way of getting his address.many thanks.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

There are no magic wands I'm afraid.

The only two route are that he gives it to you or you secure it either through your own research or use of a tracing agent.