75100385

I'm a psychiatric patient suffering from bipolar disorder.

Hello I'm a psychiatric patient suffering from bipolar disorder. After a recent period of very debilitating illness I'm now functioning, more or less, due to very heavy medication. I spent Friday evening drinking fairly heavily with a friend. I found myself naked outside my flat at around 2am. I don't know why I did it, besides the combined effect of the medication, illness and alcohol. I spent the weekend in a police cell charged with public indecency. Bailed for trial in December. Never been in trouble before. I'm terrified.
What might happen to me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I add I was directly seen by one person who contacted the police. I hid behind a hedge as soon as I was aware of his presence. There are a number of errors in his brief statement. For example he insists twice I was smoking. I've never smoked in my whole life.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the psychiatrist that said it's likely due to an unfortunate interaction with the drugs and alcohol. She's happy to supply a psychiatric report to the procurator fiscal if asked to do so.
This is probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me. Except perhaps developing bipolar disorder in the first place. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Do you have any previous convictions please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

OK - then its likely you would just get a fine if it went to Court, at most a Community Order.

So you dont need to worry, you are just likely to be fined and told not to do it again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's helpful Alex. My psychiatrist thinks that given the particular circumstances it may not even get to court, particularly with the help of a lawyer used to dealing with psychiatric cases. My GP is far more pessimistic.
I'm taking this as nothing less than serious. I'll certainly learn from it, particularly how powerful the drugs I'm taking are.
Obviously I'm going to find court itself unbelievably stressful but will need to deal with that when it comes to it.
What about the sex offenders register?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes of course. I would hope that you may have been offered a caution. No sex offenders register as this is outraging public decency.

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No word of a caution. Could that still be a possibility?
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

Yes it could be if no previous convictions.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that helps a lot. I'm seeing a lawyer next week anyway but I was needing to hear some sense to reduce my panic a little so I might enjoy the May holiday weekend. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ash replied 1 year ago.

If I could invite you to rate my answer before you go today please, otherwise the site does not credit me for the time spent with you today. Thanks and good luck. Alex